Retail Meat Apprentices
To support the development of your apprentice in becoming a butcher there are several qualifications available, the two most common qualifications are provided below.
National Certificate in Meat Retail Butchery – Level 4
This programme will lead your apprentice to develop the skills and knowledge required to work in retail butchery. The qualification focuses on the key competencies required to be confident in this customer facing role. By the end of the programme your apprentice will be able to;
- Organise and maintain a safe, hygienic work environment including managing a temperature controlled supply chain
- Forecast meat purchases based on seasonal and customer demand
- Assemble and maintain the tools of the trade and check their safety
- Complete mathematical calculations
- Process beef, sheep, pork, and chicken, to produce saleable cuts of meat
- Select, trim, and skillfully slice meat cuts by hand and machine
- Produce trays of wrapped and labelled meat to create attractive displays
- Assist customers choose meat and provide advice on uses and cooking methods
This qualification will take approximately 3 years to complete.
National Certificate in Meat Retail Butchery specialising in Curing, Smoking and Smallgoods Manufacture – Level 4
In addition to the above content you will also become proficient in making ham, corned beef, and other types of meat products. Making sausages is also a key skill for butchers manufacturing small goods products.
Support provided to your apprentice
To support your apprentice in achieving their qualification they will be allocated an experienced Account Manager. These Account Managers all have extensive experience in the butchery industry.See below for the relevant Account Managers for your region.
The Account Manager will set up a training plan with your apprentice, monitor their progress and complete on-job assessments as required.
You will need to become familiar with your apprentices training plan, ensuring they have opportunity to develop and practice the required skill. They will need your support to coach them through theoretical learning and answer questions they may have.
How to register an apprentice
To register your employee to undertake a butchery apprenticeship, contact your regional Account Manager as detailed below;
Gerry Hogan – Account Manager Northern Region
Gerry.firstname.lastname@example.org or 027-201-2992
Tui Bradbrook – Account Manager North Island (Taupo South)
email@example.com or 027-440-8676
Rob Prins – Account Manager South Island
firstname.lastname@example.org or 027-589-8581
Alternatively you can contact Competenz directly on 0800 88 00 99
Your apprentice will then be sent a Training Agreement to complete. Once this is registered with Competenz and NZQA the apprentice will receive their learning materials.