What we do
Competenz is one of New Zealand’s industry training organisations. We work with over 3,500 companies and 20,000+ learners in 36 industries around New Zealand each year to build skills, careers and businesses. Most learning takes place on-the-job.
We partner with employers, apprentices, schools, training providers and assessors across the country to help Kiwis build skills, careers and businesses.
We work with experts from the industries we support to develop nationally recognised qualifications (New Zealand and National Certificates and Diplomas).
Tailored training plans
Our 70 account managers are specialists in their fields. They work with companies to build training plans tailored to their businesses – then help their learners gain their skills in the workplace.
Making the learning happen
Our Competenz team:
- provides training materials and eLearning
- visits workplaces to check on progress
- arranges for learners to complete any off-job training they need (e.g. at a polytechnic)
- assesses (or arrange assessments) to confirm learners have built their skills
- moderates assessments to make sure they are fair, valid and consistent across the country
- registers learners’ success with the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. (We love this part of our job!)
Supporting our industries
We also support our industries in many ways, including promoting careers in these industries, sponsoring industry events like conferences and competitions, offering scholarships and celebrating learners’ success.
Training is an effective way to build the skills New Zealand businesses and New Zealanders need to get ahead in an increasingly competitive world.
Building competitive, safe businesses
Training helps businesses build the skills needed to:
- operate productively and safely
- lift quality, and reduce downtime and waste
- increase employee confidence, satisfaction and loyalty.
All that means a more competitive New Zealand.
Building rewarding careers
Employees benefit too. By gaining skills they’re gaining opportunities: to advance their career, increase their earnings, learn new things, and maybe even own their own business and train their own employees one day.
Training on-the-job has added benefits
Training in the workplace with the nationally recognised qualifications Competenz supports is an effective way to build skills. Employees:
- learn using their workplace equipment and processes – so the learning’s relevant to the business they work in
- gain skills that meet industry standards and qualifications that are recognised across New Zealand
- learn in the workplace – meaning few absences and little downtime.
We partner with industry associations and members of our industries to help recruit and build talented employees. This support includes promoting careers in our industries, identifying potential apprentices, and encouraging work placements.
We also ensure our industries' qualifications continue to meet their needs, offer scholarships to encourage higher learning, support industry events like conferences, and regularly celebrate learners’ success.
The three parties to a New Zealand Apprenticeship
There are three parties to a New Zealand Apprenticeship - the apprentice, employer and industry training organisation. Each has unique responsibilities. The responsibilities of the apprentice are to work and learn.
The responsibilities of the employer are to train and support the apprentice. The responsibilities of the industry training organisation are to facilitate the training, and support both the apprentice and the employer throughout the apprenticeship.