Competenz can provide training plans, support and qualifications – tailored to your businesses specific needs.
How we work with you
We work with industry experts to develop nationally recognised qualifications, mapping the skills needed and registering them with the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). Our team develop training plans to make it easy for you to grow your employee’s skills and productivity.
Once your learner/s are signed into a training plan, you will be assigned a Competenz account manager who will:
- Visit your business and your apprentices regularly throughout the year
- Structure training into manageable chunks of learning
- Set deadlines with apprentices to complete assessments (in full consultation with employers)
- Co-ordinate access to online learning and arrange block courses
- Assist apprentices to successfully complete their training programme.
As an employer, you need to become familiar with your apprentice’s training programme and targets, and provide them with plenty of opportunities to develop and practise the required skills.
We partner with industry associations and members of your industry to help recruit and build talented employees. This includes promoting careers, identifying potential learners and encouraging work placements.
We also support industry events like conferences, competitions and graduations, and regularly celebrate your learners’ success.
This qualification has been developed by leading New Zealand mechanical engineers to equip staff with the skills and knowledge to work productively and safely.
With technology and automation rapidly driving change in the engineering sector, this qualification is designed with the future in mind so your people can respond and adapt to change.
Most of the learning is practical work completed on-the-job. Apprentices are also required to complete eLearning via our online learning platform Canvas, and attend block courses for two to three weeks each year.
Speak to your training advisor or account manager for details on programme and resource pricing.
All graduates will be able to:
- Understand relevant health and safety legislation and workplace safety culture
- Interpret drawings and specifications and use the appropriate materials, processes, tools and equipment for the task
- Apply knowledge of relevant engineering principles and practices, and problem solving skills, to perform engineering tasks to industry standards
- Use effective and efficient processes, principles and quality systems to produce components and provide services in a commercial mechanical engineering environment
- Communicate effectively within a team and the wider workplace
- Recognise the limits of their own ability and the importance of working with integrity and maintaining currency in the mechanical engineering field.
Graduates of the Machining strand will also be able to:
Plan, sequence and machine complex engineering components to a high degree of tolerance and finish, using current and relevant machining technologies and techniques.
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Comprehend and apply detailed knowledge underpinning good practice as an engineering technician
- Comprehend and apply detailed knowledge underpinning good practice as an engineering technician that is specific to the jurisdiction in which he/she practices
- Be responsible for making decisions on part or all of one or more or more well-defined engineering activities
- Manage part or all of one or more well-defined engineering activities in accordance with good engineering management practice
- Communicate clearly with others in the course of his/her well defined engineering activities
- Maintain the currency of engineering knowledge and skills
- Exercise sound engineering judgement
- Conduct engineering activities to an ethical standard at least equivalent to the relevant code of ethical conduct
- Recognise the reasonably foreseeable social, cultural and environmental effects of well-defined engineering activities generally
Graduates of the Mechanical Engineering strand will also be able to:
- Identify, state and analyse well-defined engineering problems in accordance with good practice for engineering
- Design or develop solutions to well-defined engineering problems by applying accepted procedures and methodologies
- Identify risk and apply risk management techniques to well-defined engineering problems