- Forefront of engineered timber structures
- Entry level opportunity
- Great workplace culture on offer
About The Company
This privately New Zealand owned company has a strong presence in both NZ and International markets, with over 60 years’ experience working with engineered timber. TimberLab have the capability of covering all aspects of the build from design, manufacture and supply. They pride themselves on creating exquisite and elegant timber structures for both residential and commercial projects across the world.
About The Opportunity
Under the guidance of the Factory Manager and head machinist, and with external training provided by Competenz, you will undertake a comprehensive education in the processing and manufacture of TimberLab timber products. This will lead to NZQA qualifications, initially at level 2 and 3. Upon successful completion, you will have the opportunity to progress to level 4 - see the qualification details below.
Some experience in a manufacturing environment would be preferable, but not essential. You will be able to demonstrate the ability to learn and apply your knowledge in a practical application.
Above all you will need to demonstrate an enthusiasm and commitment to complete the educational requirements, while working within the business. This will require some study in your own time.
In addition to the skills requirements, the successful applicant will be able to show their ability to meet the following criteria:
- A positive "can do" attitude
- Reliability and punctuality
- Good English language skills (written and verbal communication)
- The ability to learn new skills
- Must be physically fit and energetic as manual handling will be required
- High attention to detail
- Flexible in approach to work hours
TimberLab are looking for team members with the right attitude who can positively contribute to achieving their vision and goals. You must be willing to undergo pre-employment functional health assessments, including a drug test.
Standard hours are Monday to Friday 6.30am to 3.30pm. Regular overtime including Saturdays is available and TimberLab are seeking an apprentice with a flexible approach to work hours.
New Zealand Certificate in Timber Machining (Level 4)
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of mechanical engineering systems to a solid wood manufacturing operation.
- Manufacture, grind and hone cutters in a timber machining operation.
- Design profile cutter templates in preparation for profile grinding operations.
- Develop profile, and grind and hone profile cutters in-head in preparation for machine set-up.
- Interpret and apply specifications and knowledge to the operations and maintenance of timber machining equipment.
- Set cutterhead spindle positions and joint profile cutters.
- Set up a timber planer for profile.
- Maintain timber machining equipment and troubleshoot product defects.
A day in the life
What a day in the life of someone working in Solid Wood looks like