- School Leaver Opportunity
- Excellent training on offer
- South Auckland location
About the Employer
Opal is a large nationwide new and innovative renewable packaging company.
As part of the Nippon Paper Group, Opal is one of Australasia’s leading packaging and paper companies and employs more than 4,500 team members across their operations. Opal manufacture goods that you see, touch and use every day and their customer base includes some of the biggest names in FMCG, Retail and Fresh Produce.
Opal stands for innovation, smart solutions and sustainability and this is an exciting time to join them as they build their own unique culture fuelled by confidence, energy and passion.
You might have often gone past some of our products on supermarket shelves or eaten a product from our creative packaging. Well if this all sounds interesting, you could be a part of Opal’s whanau to provide innovative and renewable packaging.
About the opportunity
Have you recently left school and looking for a new way to kick start your career?
Opal is looking for an energetic and proactive Print Apprentice to join their Manukau-based team.
What’s on offer for you?
- Hours of work are between 8 and 10 hours per day
- Hourly rate $20.50
- Length of Apprenticeship: 4 years plus the apprentice also needs to complete 240 credits achieved by completing appropriate unit standards
- Tailored training, mentoring and professional development
- An opportunity to kick start your career with access to our experts in the field
- Awesome colleagues and inclusive working environment where diversity is valued and encouraged
A high level of safety awareness is a pre-requisite for this opportunity as is a good level of physical fitness as there is a fair amount of heavy lifting and moving.
You will have:
- NCEA Level 2 in English, Maths and computer skills
- Be mechanically minded
- Have a good eye for detail
- Be a team player with effective communication
- A practical approach to diagnosing and solving problems
- A great attitude with great timekeeping
- Be available to work rotating shifts and reasonable amounts of overtime as and when required
Full training will be provided so we are looking for someone who has the willingness to learn.
Hours of work
There are 25 people in the team and the shift starts at 4 am or 5 am for dayshift. The length of the shift varies from 8 -10 hours depending on the overtime required.
The afternoon shift starts around 12 pm – 2 pm depending on overtime. Shifts rotate weekly.
About the Qualification
The qualification is NZ Certificate in Print (Level 4)
This apprenticeship is primarily an on-the-job training program, working alongside qualified trades personal to learn the Printing process within the Printing and Packing process. You will be trained in the following:
- Understanding printing practices
- working with printing inks, solvents and chemicals
- understanding and working with different board substrates
- operating/troubleshooting multi-colour printing presses
Correspondence courses needed, are to be completed on time and passed in conjunction with Competenz. Training records are kept and assessed by the Competenz training officer.
A day in the life
What a day in the life of someone working in Print looks like
All applicants will be required to provide proof of their eligibility to work in New Zealand. Any appointment will be subject to a satisfactory drug test and security check.