- Entry Level Opportunity
- Excellent training on offer
- South Auckland location
About the Employer
Opal is a large nationwide new and innovative renewable packaging company.
As part of the Nippon Paper Group, Opal is one of Australasia’s leading packaging and paper companies and employs more than 4,500 team members across their operations. Opal manufacture goods that you see, touch and use every day and their customer base includes some of the biggest names in FMCG, Retail and Fresh Produce.
Opal stands for innovation, smart solutions and sustainability and this is an exciting time to join them as they build their own unique culture fuelled by confidence, energy and passion.
You might have often gone past some of our products on supermarket shelves or eaten a product from our creative packaging. Well if this all sounds interesting, you could be a part of Opal’s whanau to provide innovative and renewable packaging.
About the opportunity
Have you recently left school and looking for a new way to kick start your career?
Opal is looking for an energetic and proactive Print Apprentice to join their Manukau-based team.
What’s on offer for you?
- Starting Hourly rate $20.50
- Tailored training, mentoring and professional development
- An opportunity to kick start your career with access to our experts in the field
- Awesome colleagues and inclusive working environment where diversity is valued and encouraged
A high level of safety awareness is a pre-requisite for this opportunity as is a good level of physical fitness as there is a fair amount of heavy lifting and moving. Full training will be provided so we are looking for someone who has the willingness to learn.
You will have:
- NCEA Level 2 in English, Maths and computer skills
- Be mechanically minded
- Have a good eye for detail
- Be a team player with effective communication
- A practical approach to diagnosing and solving problems
- A great attitude with great timekeeping
- Be available to work rotating shifts and reasonable amounts of overtime as and when required
There are 25 people in the team and the shift starts at 4 am or 5 am for dayshift. The length of the shift varies from 8 -10 hours depending on the overtime required.
The afternoon shift starts around 12 pm – 2 pm depending on overtime. Shifts rotate weekly.
New Zealand Certificate in Print (Level 4) with strand in Offset Printing
This apprenticeship is primarily an on-the-job training program, working alongside qualified trades personal to learn the Printing process within the Printing and Packing process. You will be trained in the following:
Graduates of this qualification will be able to -
- Carry out routine and preventative maintenance in the workplace, according to a maintenance programme.
- Apply industry knowledge of terminology, machinery, and equipment to implement a range of technical production skills to support print production requirements.
- Troubleshoot and rectify faults and problems throughout the print production process.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and customers to fulfil the requirements of the work and role.
- Manage quality assurance and sustainable environmental practices to ensure industry standards are maintained.
Graduates of the Offset Printing strand will also be able to:
- Prepare job components and make ready, the offset printing machinery and any associated equipment to make plates and produce printed product using the offset printing process.
A day in the life
What a day in the life of someone working in Print looks like