- Saw Doctor Apprenticeship
- Looking for an exciting career specialising in something a little different?
- Role located in Pokeno, Waikato
About the Company
ASL Industries is looking for a new staff member and this job is full of variety. In basic language, you will be trained to work with saws to make sure they are cutting the wood correctly in the sawmill.
About the Opportunity
You will have qualified managers to learn from and no two days will be the same. The job detail below will show you how interesting each day can get and what a fantastic learning opportunity this is.
Working with a small team at the Pokeno Sawmill, you will be responsible for maintaining and servicing band saws and circular saws. Their saw shop is one of the most high tech found in Australasia and you can check out more at their website here - https://www.aslindustries.co.nz/
Ideally, you will:
- Have NCEA 2 English and Maths
- Have excellent communication skills
- Be reliable and motivated to learn
- Have a great attitude toward your work
- Have an excellent awareness of health and safety
Hours of Work
The hours of work are flexible, with approximately 40-50 hours per week spread over five days, Monday to Friday.
New Zealand Certificate (Level 4) in Saw Doctoring
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Level and tension bandsaws and circular saws used in wood manufacturing operations, and calibrate saw benching machinery.
- Tip and profile circular saws used in wood manufacturing operations with and without satellite or high speed steel.
- Swage, shape, sharpen and weld saws used in wood manufacturing operations.
- Interpret and apply specifications used in saw doctoring and the requirements for alignment of saw centres and grinding of band wheels to the operation and maintenance of saw milling equipment used in wood manufacturing operations.
A day in the life
What a day in the life of someone working in General Engineering looks like