- Rare opportunity in Gisborne
- Excellent training toward a trade qualification
- Long term career security
About the Employer
Mō Te Kaitukumahi
Juken (JNL) are a values-driven company with Integrity and Sustainability being two of their core values. They have been heavily involved with the NZ forestry and wood-processing industries for the past 25 years – manufacturing advanced and innovative wood products from selectively planted, managed, and harvested Radiata Pine for local and export markets. They have four mills throughout the north island; Masterton, two in Kaitaia, and the mill where this job is, Gisborne.
About the Opportunity
Mō Te Huarahi
Juken are now looking for a Saw Doctor apprentice at their Gisborne Mill site. This is a full-time role. You will gain on-the-job experience working on site as well as attending block courses. You will be fully supported by their team in studying towards an NZ Trade Certificate in Saw Doctoring .
This is an entry level position and if you have the following in your toolbox then we would like to hear from you -
- NCEA Level 2 (ideally in Maths and English)
- Passion for the industry
- A positive attitude with ambition, determination and a willingness to learn
- Observant and mechanically minded
- Strong commitment as well as the energy and the focus to study as required in order to gain the relevant qualification.
- Confidence with IT, computers, technology
- Good organisational skills
- Good work habits/time management
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- Saw Doctoring requires good eye sight and a strong eye for detail.
The Normal hours of work are set at 8 hours per day, 5 days a week. There is occasional overtime which is paid at time and a quarter.
New Zealand Certificate in Saw Doctoring (Level 4)
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
Graduates will be able to operate and maintain plant and equipment safely and efficiently and will be able to troubleshoot and make decisions to maintain productivity.
- Level and tension bandsaws and circular saws used in wood manufacturing operations, and calibrate saw benching machinery.
- Tip and profile circular saws used in wood manufacturing operations with and without satellite or high speed steel.
- Swage, shape, sharpen and weld saws used in wood manufacturing operations.
- Interpret and apply specifications used in saw doctoring and the requirements for alignment of saw centres and grinding of band wheels to the operation and maintenance of saw milling equipment used in wood manufacturing operations.
A day in the life
What a day in the life of someone working in General Manufacturing looks like
Juken require all their staff to -
- Be Drug free (must Pass a pre-employment drug test)
- Have reliable transport
- Reasonable strength and fitness (there is a pre-employment medical)