Unit standards in schools
Ideally NCEA Level 2 in:
- Science (physics)
- Technology (metal work)
Gateway programme available
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineer
- Air Conditioning Systems Designer
- Industrial Refrigeration Engineer
- Commercial Refrigeration Engineer
- Transport Refrigeration Engineer.
- Specialist Engineer
- Site Supervisor
- Business Manager
- Business Owner
What do they do?
Refrigeration and air conditioning engineers manufacture, install and maintain the systems used to store and transport perishable items such as food and medicine. Your work environment can change one day to the next from a shipping container to an apartment block.
A typical day
Normally an eight-hour day; sometimes working longer may be required.
Work can include installing and maintaining refrigeration and air conditioning systems in office buildings, hospitals and factories, through to refrigeration engineering in warehouses, ships, containers and trucks.
You are likely to work in many different locations from day to day.
Sound like you?
- English or Media or History
- Maths or Accounting or Economics
- Sciences or Workshop Technologies
- Computing/ICT/Information Management.
- Strong eye for detail
- Good literacy and numeracy
- Good organisational skills
- Good work habits/time management.
- Analysing, researching or problem solving
- Making or fixing things
- Working with machinery
- Working with computers.
- Inside (workshop or plant)
- Outside (outdoors)
- Different places from time to time.