15 February 2019
Training system reform - information for Competenz apprentices and trainees
You may have seen the news this week that the government has proposed major changes to New Zealand’s Vocational Education and Training (VET) system, which will impact all polytechnics and industry training organisations (ITOs) like Competenz.
At this stage it’s only a proposal. The consultation period starts now and we have six weeks to gather your thoughts and respond. We'll also be asking your employer what they think.
What's all this talk about polytechs and ITOs changing?
The government proposes to establish a unified national system of vocational education and training. It's a pretty massive change and we are working to get our heads around what this actually means for Competenz.
Will this affect my apprenticeship or qualification?
- This will not affect your apprenticeship or training - it's business as usual
- There will be no change to the way we support you. We remain 100% committed to supporting you through your training.
What is Competenz doing?
- All ITOs and the Industry Training Federation are working together to form a collective position
- A survey will be sent to all Competenz learners and employers
- We will continue to update you as we get more information and understand the proposals better.
What can I do to help?
We will be surveying our learners so keep an eye on your inbox or social media for how you can have your say.
Where can I find more information?