By 2025 the forestry industry is expected to need an additional 25,900 trained workers to replace the natural attrition of workers within the industry.
News & events
The official launch of Māori & Pasifika Trades Training: Auckland will be held on 12 February...
Jason Hemopo, Competenz National Forestry Moderator, has been leading workshops throughout New Zealand for our assessors working...
Competenz wants to play an active part in making sure all New Zealanders have the opportunity...
Competenz congratulates all forestry learners in our Otago and Southland regions who recently graduated at the Southern Wood...
In addition to our Mechanical Engineering, Food & Beverage manufacturing, Forestry and Transport industry coverage, mergers this...
Individual performance in a particular skill is assessed based on Unit Standards, written specifically for Forestry requirements...
Taranakipine – Damon Jacobsen With over 190 staff, it’s a fine thing that 80% of Taranakipine’s staff...
Michelle Harris – Human Resources Adviser on behalf of Carter Holt Harvey Pulp, Paper and Packaging Maintaining...
Adrian Greig – Juken New Zealand Adrian Greig jokes that his department deals with basically everything nobody...
*Modern Apprentice of the Year Nominations* Jamie Robertson – Production Manager, Waverley Sawmills Understanding people...
*What can we do better?* Industry is changing at a rapid pace and some of the qualifications...
Further consolidation of the ITO sector happened on May 1st when Competenz took over responsibility for...
National Manager, Forestry
- 027 266 6621
Product Development & Quality Assurance Industry Manager
- 09 539 9860
National Moderator, Forestry
- 027 660 5563
Training Administrator, Forestry
- 07 349 5472
Account Manager, Northland
- 021 376 941
Account Manager, Bay of Plenty and Coromandel
- 027 272 3877
Account Manager, Central North Island, Hawkes Bay and Gisborne
- 027 439 9092
- 06 845 2698
Account Manager, Tauranga
- 027 438 8194
Account Manager, Lower North Island
- 027 422 2583
Account Manager, Upper South Island and West Coast
- 027 478 8096
Account Manager, Lower South Island
- 027 438 8096
- 03 4817 102
Targeted Review of Qualifications
The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) is reviewing all New Zealand's national and local qualifications. These reviews are called Targeted Reviews of Qualifications (TRoQs).
Harvesting windthrown timber
- What causes a windthrown event - Part 1
- What causes a windthrown event - Part 2
- Hazard control for a major windthrow event
- Hazard assessment and salvage plan
- Contractor hazard identification and induction
- Planning for harvesting windthrown - Part 1
- Planning for harvesting windthrown - Part 2
- Harvesting methods - Part 1
- Harvesting methods - Part 2
- Butting off uprooted trees - Part 1
- Butting off uprooted trees - Part 2
- Butting off uprooted trees - Part 3
- Butting off uprooted trees - Part 4
- Heavy forward leaners - Part 1
- Heavy forward leaners - Part 2
- Use of machinery - Part 1
- Use of machinery - Part 2
Safe tree felling procedures
- Daily maintenance - Part 1
- Daily maintenance - Part 2
- Daily maintenance - Part 3
- Periodic maintenance - Part 1
- Periodic maintenance - Part 2
- Periodic maintenance - Part 3
- Periodic maintenance - Part 4
- Periodic maintenance - Part 5
- Periodic maintenance - Part 6
- The saw chain - Part 1
- The saw chain - Part 2
- The saw chain - Part 3
- Chain sharpening - Part 1
- Chain sharpening - Part 2
- Chain sharpening - Part 3
- Chain sharpening - Part 4
- Chain sharpening - Part 5
- Running in a new chain
- Drive sprockets & guide bars - Part 1
- Drive sprockets & guide bars - Part 2
- Drive sprockets & guide bars - Part 3
Best practice guides
- Cable logging
- Chainsaw use
- Fire fighting contolled burn-offs
- Ground-based logging
- Land preparation
- Manual log making and processing
- Mechanised harvesting and processing
- Mobile plant
- Personal protective equipment
- Road and landing construction
- Silviculture pruning
- Tree felling
- Tree planting
- Working with helicopters
- Traffic control on private roads
- Maintenance inspections of yarder towers